Sunday, October 30, 2011

Soup Recipes

This weekend I couldn't help myself.  I went to the store and bought more vegetables than usual.  But the broccoli and the butternut squash just looked sooo good.  I couldn't help myself.  And fall is in full swing too, so I thought I'd go ahead and try perfecting some soup recipes.  Well, this time I was able to do it!  Here are two soup recipes I'm proud to share with you.  I hope you enjoy them.  The flavors really come through, and there's nothing wimpy about them!

Butternut Squash Soup

2 medium butternut squash, peeled and seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 Tbsp Earth Balance margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Melt Earth Balance in large pot.  Add onion and cook until translucent.  Add vegetable broth and squash.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.  Remove squash with a slotted spoon and place in food processor.  Puree until squash is smooth.  Add back to pot of broth and stir until blended well.  Add salt and pepper.

All three of my sons really liked this one and even came back for seconds and thirds:

Cream of Broccoli Soup

6 Tbsp Earth Balance margarine, divided
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
2 large bunches of broccoli, chopped into florets
3 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
1 pint Silk creamer

Melt half the Earth Balance in large pot.  Saute onion and celery until tender.  Add broccoli and broth.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  Pour the soup into a food processor.  Blend the mixture until it is smooth.  Then in the original pot melt the remaining margarine.  Once it’s melted, stir in the flour, then add the creamer.  Stir until it gets thick, and then add the blended soup and stir until blended well.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy!!! Feel like having right now. Thanks for sharing.

    Do you know your favorite soup can say a lot about your personality. Take the Soup Personality Test and find out your personality by your soup choice. I have taken the test and enjoyed. Hope you too will like it. have Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete