Sunday, December 26, 2010

Green Chili Recipe

The Week Sixteen Menu gives the suggestion to eat green chili--twice!  One of my mom's specialties growing up was a delicious, satisfying, not-too-hot-but-just-hot-enough green chili.  It was one of the first things I missed when I became vegetarian.  But I finally thought, "Why do I have to have pork in it?  Why couldn't I just omit it?"  But one of the problems I noticed when I converted from a meat-based to a plant-based diet was that many dishes rely on the flavor of the meat, so when you get rid of the meat, you have to compensate with different flavors (more herbs and spices, for example).  All I did with the green chili recipe was add more chilies, garlic, and onion, and I don't miss the pork.  My carnivorous family likes this version too.  So here it is.  I hope you enjoy!

Green Chili

Ingredients
  • 3 onions, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup sunflower oil
  • 4 oz can diced green chilies
  • 1/4 cup jalapenos
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • Quart water
  • 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
Directions:

Saute onions and garlic in oil.  Stir in flour and water.  Add remaining ingredients and cook on low for at least one hour.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment