Sunday, March 20, 2011

Vegan Menu for Week Twenty-Eight

This week, I was missing quesadillas...and I still haven't found a vegan cheese I really like (although there is one that's promising--I need to try it a few more times, and then I'll let you know).  Vegan cheese just usually has a weird taste, and it's not even a soy taste.  It's just odd.  It tastes salty to me and not cheesy at all.  I've had cashew/nutritional yeast cheese, and I like that okay, but cheese made to imitate cheddar, mozzarella, or American slices isn't so good.

Anyway, I was craving quesadillas.  Yes, I know quesadillas actually require cheese (considering "queso" in Spanish means cheese), but I thought I'd get as close as possible.  The fried tortilla with the warm beans dipped in salsa made me happy, and I guess that's good enough for now!  That's the first entry this week, along with a mini "how to."  Have a great week!

Sunday
Mexican
  • Bean "quesadillas"--I adapted a recipe I found on the back of a can of Rosarita Vegetarian Refried Beans.  Take a flour tortilla and spread a few spoonfuls of beans on it.  Sprinkle vegan cheese on the beans if desired.  Fold in half.  Heat about 1/2 tablespoon of vegan margarine in a skillet (I use Earth Balance).  Fry the quesadilla lightly on both sides.  Serve with salsa.
  • Spanish rice
Monday
Quick and Easy
  • Amy's Teriyaki Bowl ("made with organic tofu, brown rice & broccoli")
  • Pineapple slices
Tuesday
  • FLT sandwich--"Fakin", Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich:  Made with vegan bacon (I used Lightlife's Smart Bacon), lettuce leaves, tomato slices, toasted vegan whole grain bread, and mustard.  I made these yesterday, and my entire family loved these and asked for more, and I'm the only vegetarian in the house!  Hooray!
  • Pasta salad
  • Strawberries
Wednesday
  • Slow-cooked black beans
  • Tortillas
  • Rice
Thursday
  • Tempeh stew
  • Garden salad
  • Biscuits
Friday
  • Vegan Monte Cristo sandwiches
  • Kettle chips
  • Pickle spear
Saturday
Chinese
  • Fried tofu in black bean sauce
  • Steamed rice
Breakfast of the Week
  • Vegan English muffins and margarine or jam (or both)
Dessert of the Week
  • Strawberry rhubarb pie

No comments:

Post a Comment