Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thinkin' about Bein' Vegan?

Just this month, I've talked to a few people considering going vegetarian and even vegan.  That's exciting, heady stuff!  It's quite a commitment--I know!  Even just considering the choice makes a person think long and hard about his or her life and choices.  Some people decide to go cold turkey, while others (like I did!) gradually ease into the process.  Some people need to try it more than once.  Lots of people prefer to research and gather the facts.

I feel fortunate.  I talked with my doctor about becoming vegetarian (haven't been in to see him in quite a while, but I plan to tell him I'm vegan next time I go!), and he was thrilled to hear it.  I've had lots of support.  My health was the number one reason why I made the change, but it's also the reason why I've eliminated lots of other things from my diet (like trans fats).  Sometimes it helps knowing there are some good substitutes for many of your old favorites.  Other times you just decide to do the best you can.  So, you might be wondering, what are some of the things that I personally have done to ease into the vegan lifestyle?  Here are just a few things:

  1. I became a vegetarian first.  I know you've already read that here elsewhere, but I don't think I could have become vegan all at once.  I had to decide first to become vegetarian (and I found that very easy!).  Once I started researching and making healthier lifestyle choices, as well as researching the ecological impacts of my diet, becoming vegan weighed heavily on my mind, until I finally decided it was time.
  2. I love coffee.  A lot, and way too much.  That said, though, I haven't pushed it out the door entirely yet.  Give me time.  It's the only other thing I drink aside from water with lemon.  I used non-dairy creamer for a very long time, but have you SEEN the junk in there?  It's like a chemistry lab!  I switched to Silk French Vanilla soy creamer, and it is yummy.  So...until I can give up the coffee, at least it's vegan.  I put a little bit of Stevia in the Raw in it, and I'm good to go.  I don't miss the dairy at all.
  3. I have mental reminders for myself of why I decided to go vegan.  It's probably a little too graphic for many of you, but suffice it to say that I ultimately made the choice for several reasons:  a) for my health, because milk and animal protein are actually BAD for our bones, in spite of what we've all been taught!; b) vegans make an even smaller environmental impact on the planet than vegetarians (but way to go, vegetarians--you're still doing your part!); and c) ethical reasons--dairy products are still exploiting animals.  Okay...if you're still with me, I know I promised not to be graphic, but I can't help myself.  Feel free to stop reading if you need to...I am a mother of four wonderful, beautiful children, and I breastfed every one of them.  I'm glad I did, and I will never regret it.  However, I also worked full-time and I had to express my breastmilk every day at work two or three times a day for a long time!  I just think, "Geez, cows can never be done.  They just have to get hooked up to a breast pump every day."  Being engorged is uncomfortable, and I refuse to ask a cow to suffer pain so I can have a slice of cheese.  So, even when I think, "To heck with my health!" I remember the cows.  Now, I'm searching for a good soy cheese.  I found one at our local health food store the other day made with almond and soy, but I was disappointed because it had casein (milk protein).  Sorry, but I don't consider that vegan.  So I'll keep looking!  Until then, no cheese!  And I'm okay with that.
  4. I love vegetables.  So I just try to find new ways to enjoy them!
  5. I used to love to cook, and I'm trying to find that love again.  I have found (and I love this the most) that dishes are easier to clean when you haven't used them to cook animal products, cheese, eggs, etc.  I love easy dish cleaning! 
  6. I talked with a vegan I knew.  I work with her, and she became vegan a few years ago for her health.  I asked her dozens of questions before I became vegetarian.  She was more than happy to share her journey.  Sound familiar?
  7. I celebrate my success.  Actually, I rarely "look back" anymore.  It was hard at first.  It's not now.  But I feel so much better, and that's what I celebrate.  No more tummy troubles, acid reflux, extremely dry skin.  So many of my "ailments" have cleared up with my new diet.  I have no reason to go back.
If you choose to go vegan, I wish you the best of luck.  There are more and more of us everyday.  Whether you decide to go vegan or vegetarian or just want to eat a veggie meal once in a while, I salute you.  It's a choice.  It's a good choice.  I hope, no matter what you decide, that you are glad you made that decision like I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment