Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gardening--Week One

So last week I started working on my Biointensive garden.  The first thing I had to do was plot out the area.  My old garden area was not wide or long enough (though it was probably big enough in square feet).  I needed an area that was 5 by 20 feet.  So I plotted out the area (which last year was overrun with weeds).  The next thing I had to do was soak the ground for up to two hours (I did it about one hour and had to move the sprinkler several times to get it all). 



Then, two days later, I had to start loosening up the soil.  The idea with Biointensive is to disturb the soil as little as possible (like nature), so there's no turning of the soil or anything like that.  However, my dirt is hard and clay-ey, so I have a lot of work to do.  So, two days after the soak (so it's not too wet and not too dry), I had to start working the pitchfork in to start breaking up the soil.


Now, I just have to let the sun, wind, and rain continue doing the work on the land.  In about a week I'll start the double digging process.  I've already started a pretty significant compost pile, and I have an old compost pile I can draw from for this year's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment