Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One of Those Things That Really Ticks Me Off!

Okay, I need to rant.  I went shopping on Saturday (that's not enough to irritate me, although some days, it comes close).  I still buy meat-based foods for the family when I shop.  I don't like it, but I can't force them to eat the way I want.  I'm leading by example and I can at least be happy that, when I cook and they eat it, it's vegan!

Anyway, one of the things on my list was pot pies.  I grabbed the pot pies they asked for and brought them home.  Yesterday, the pies got cooked, and when I looked more closely at the box, I thought, "Oh, that's nice."  I'm not going to name the company here, but suffice it to say, it's a big one.  Anyway, the box said that, by buying the box of food, money would be donated to a particular (also nameless) homeless charity.  That's why I thought that was nice.  By buying the pot pie, the company was going to contribute money to people in need.

Ah, if it were only that simple.  But, no.  When I read the fine print, I realized that we needed to type in a code online.  Only then would the company contribute money to feed the homeless people.

So what's wrong with this picture?  Plenty of things.  First of all, the company (and they make plenty of money) really isn't doing anything out of the kindness of their heart.  They want us, the consumer, to take the time to read the fine print and then do what they've asked us to do.  Otherwise, no money will be donated to this cause.  So some people, I'm sure, will buy these pot pies, feeling all warm and fuzzy that their purchase is feeding not only their family but also other hungry people across the country.  Some of these people think that and don't bother reading the fine print.  Other people will read the fine print and take their precious time to type in the codes.  Still others (like myself) will get really angry and then type in the codes anyway, knowing that--if they don't--they will suffer horrible guilt.

But that's not right.

If the company were truly charitable, they would contribute money directly to the organization.  But, instead, they have to make a big show of it and also force their customers to buy their food in order to feed other people.  I don't buy their show.  Until they decide to simply give money to this organization without the games they feel the need to play, I don't buy it.  And I won't buy their crappy products ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment