Sunday, October 10, 2010

Notes from Week Five's Menu

I realize some people aren't as comfortable at "winging it" when it comes to cooking as others of us are.  So for people who prefer more detail, I figured I'd show some pictures of my rice noodle stir fry in orange sauce.

Now, you can make your orange sauce from scratch, but I wasn't able to find any vegan recipes.  I didn't try too hard, though, because I was in a hurry!  This particular sauce is vegan.  You'll notice that I also have two boxes of rice noodles.  Bear in mind that there are six people in my family, two of them teens!  Not all families will need this much. 

Next, cut as many veggies as you want, and whatever kind you want--celery, cabbage, onions, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, bell pepper, carrots, garlic, snowpeas, bamboo shoots, whatever sounds good to you!  I used what I had on hand that particular night--onions, carrots, and green pepper. And, heck, you could even add some Boca Chik'n Nuggets!


Next, I stir fried the veggies in a bit of sunflower oil for about five minutes.  I didn't time it.  I just fried over high heat, stirring constantly, until the veggies were tender-crisp.



Then I added the orange sauce and noodles and continued stirring until everything was coated evenly in orange sauce.  I served it with a side of brown rice.


I love stirfrys.  I love to just chop up whatever veggies I have on hand, throw in some sauce (whatever I have in the cupboard if I'm too pressed for time to make one from scratch), and add either rice or noodles.  They're easy, versatile, filling, and delicious.  Hope you enjoy yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment